Monday, May 28, 2018

Here's What I Learned...

With it being Memorial Day, I was inspired to make a "patriotic" card that I can use in my card ministry to thank any military veterans in our church. Except, after I got the card made, I was Googling to see exactly what should be said on/for Memorial Day, and realized that Memorial Day is not an appropriate time to thank our military. (Oops!) According to Writology.com:

What Do You Say To a Veteran on Memorial Day?

To express noble Memorial Day sentiments, you should remember that this is the time to commemorate those who gave their lives in service to our country. That is why you should not thank the living veterans on Memorial Day but show respect to their fallen comrades in arms, friends, and family.
We honor veterans on Veterans Day to express our gratitude and reverence for their service. On Memorial Day, we remember and grieve for those who died in wars. In such a way, we can deliberate on the price of war and pay tribute to those who paid in full.
So instead of looking for proper words to say to a veteran on Memorial Day, you should better visit a Veterans memorial or the USSAH National Cemetery and place flags and flowers on the graves, attend the Largest Memorial Day Parade and Concert, buy a poppy, or take part in the National Moment of Remembrance.
While I definitely goofed, it was a positive in that it helped me learn the difference between these holidays, and I now know what is correct etiquette. With that said, I will go ahead and share the card I made, though it will NOT be given to a veteran today, but rather saved to send to a veteran on a more appropriate day.


I went to both Michael's and AC Moore to find flag print paper, because I had this paper-piecing idea in mind. However, I came up short at both stores, so instead I found a picture of a flag online to print. I stamped this Stampendous "Mega Thanks" word over the flag, then cut out the letters to piece them on my card. 
I also learned at Writology that you should not wish someone a "happy" Memorial Day, but it IS okay to say "I hope you have a nice day." And I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, ideas, questions? Please feel free to comment!